Monday, April 4, 2016

A BING SONG: PENNIES FROM HEAVEN

My Grandfather loved Bing Crosby. Bing could almost do no wrong in his eyes, and I truly agree. Today is my birthday, and even though my Grandfather has been gone for close to 14 years now, I always listen to the song "Pennies From Heaven" on my birthday. It was my Grandfather's favorite Bing Crosby record, and listening to this song always reminds me of my Grandfather and what he meant to me.

"Pennies from Heaven" is a 1936 American popular song with music by Arthur Johnston and words by Johnny Burke. It was introduced by Bing Crosby in the 1936 film of the same name. It was recorded in the same year by Billie Holiday and afterwards performed by Louis Armstrong, Tony Bennett, Dinah Washington, Clark Terry, Frances Langford, Arthur Tracy, Big Joe Turner, Frank Sinatra, Stan Getz, Dean Martin, Gene Ammons, The Skyliners (a major hit in 1960), Louis Prima, Legion of Mary, Guy Mitchell, Rose Murphy and many other jazz and popular singers.

The 1936 recording by Bing Crosby on Decca Records was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2004. Bing Crosby also released the song in a performance with Louis Armstrong and Frances Langford with Jimmy Dorsey and his Orchestra also on Decca...


PENNIES FROM HEAVEN

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven
Don't you know each cloud contains pennies from heaven?
You'll find your fortune's fallin' all over the town
Be sure that your umbrella is upside down

Trade them for a package of sunshine and flowers
If you want the things you love, you must have showers
So, when you hear it thunder, don't run under a tree
There'll be pennies from heaven for you and me

Every time, every time it rains, it's gonna rain pennies from heaven
Don't you know every cloud contains lots of pennies from heaven
You'll find your fortune's fallin', baby, all over the town
Be sure, be sure that your umbrella is upside down

Trade them for a package of sunshine and flowers
If you want the things you love, you've got to have showers
So, when you hear it thunder, don't run under a tree
There'll be pennies from heaven for you and me.




2 comments:

  1. A very happy birthday to you, my friend. I will think of "Pennies from Heaven" as your song with your beloved grandfather from now on.

    PS: Today is Frances Langford's birthdate as well. Nice going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great singer. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete